TNBA’s Owen O. Washington Scholarship Program
The Owen O. Washington (OOW) Scholarship is annually offered by the National Bowling Association, Inc. (TNBA) to provide financial assistance to graduating high school seniors who are TNBA Junior Bowlers or their parents/legal guardians are members of TNBA. (Scholarships are not available to graduates entering the military or military academies.)
OOW Scholarship offers a minimum of $10,000.00 in the amounts of: $1,500 for 1st place, $1,250 for 2nd place, $1,000 for 3rd place to the top three males and three females. A minimum of five $500 Book Scholarships will be awarded to next top five applicants.
Operations & Procedures
- The National OOW Scholarship Chairperson will furnish scholarship applications to the National Office to send to the local TNBA bowling senate scholarship chairpersons in the annual Secretary/President packet. FILLABLE applications are available below.
- Eligibility is restricted to graduating high school seniors who are TNBA Junior Bowlers or their parents/legal guardians are members of their Local TNBA Bowling Senate. Scholarships are not available to graduates entering the military or military academies.
- The Local TNBA Bowling Senate Scholarship Chairperson will assist eligible seniors in completing the necessary forms and when necessary by contacting the proper personnel to ensure that the senior is able to obtain the components of the application.
- All completed applications must be submitted to the Local TNBA Bowling Senate Scholarship Chairperson on or before March 10. Applications will be checked for completeness and forwarded to the National OOW Scholarship Chairperson on or before April 1.
- The National OOW Scholarship Chairperson will acknowledge receipt of applications in writing and forward applications to the OOW Scholarship Committee members to evaluate.
- The National OOW Scholarship Committee members will evaluate applications on:
- applicant’s resume’ – 10 pts
- applicant’s personal statement – 10 pts
- applicant’s community service – 5 pts
- letter of recommendation from member of local bowling senate (cannot be a family member) – 5 pts
- letter of recommendation from school personnel (cannot be a family member) – 5 pts
- letter of recommendation community, church, employer, etc. (cannot be a family member) – 5 pts
- transcript containing cumulative GPA (including first semester of senior year grades) – 5 pts
- completeness and orderliness of application – 5pts.
7. The National OOW Scholarship Chairperson will compile scores and consult with committee members to verify recipients. Recipients will be announced during the Annual TNBA Awards Banquet in May. Scholarships will be awarded after receipt of proof of enrollment from applicants and approval at the TNBA Annual Summer Executive Committee Meeting in August.
2019 OOW Scholarship Application
TNBA’s Margaret S. Lee Battle of the Sexes Book Scholarship Program
The Margaret S. Lee Battle of the Sexes (MSLBOS) Tournament Committee offers book scholarships to students enrolled in college. The purpose is to provide some financial assistance to undergraduate college students who are bowlers and active with their local senates.
The number of scholarships and amounts will be based on the Margaret S. Lee Battle of the Sexes tournament proceeds, therefore the number and scholarship amounts awarded will be determined by the MSLBOS Tournament Committees annually.
OPERATIONS & PROCEDURES
- The National Scholarship Chairperson will furnish scholarship applications to the Local Senates’ Scholarship Chairpersons. Applications are to be provided to qualified college students who have continued to be active in TNBA through bowling, volunteering, and/or other actions.
- Eligibility is restricted to students who are members of The National BowlingAssociation, Inc. and are currently in college. (Recipients of the Owen O. Washington Scholarship are NOT eligible to apply until their sophomore year.)
- Any member of The National Bowling Association, Inc. may nominate an eligible college student who is a TNBA member from their local senate.
- The application along with the student’s current college transcript must be submitted to the Local Senate Scholarship Chairperson by October 31 (current freshmen must submit transcript as soon as possible). All applicants will have to provide proof of enrollment for the second semester.
- The Local Senate Scholarship Chairperson will verify the students’ activities within the senate and forward completed applications to the National Scholarship Chairperson by November30.
- It is the committee’s goal to provide assistance to students by the start of the midterm. Therefore adhering to deadlines is essential.
- The MSLBOS and the National Scholarship Chair will evaluate the applications to make the final decision on the winners. They also reserve the right to interpret and apply the intent of the provisions of this scholarship application.
2018 MSLBOS Scholarship Application
Ms. Gwen Amie, TNBA National OOW Scholarship Chairperson
7520 Arborcrest Ave. Las Vegas, NV 89131
(702) 860-5556 cell
E-mail Address: TnbaScholarships@gmail.com or email@example.com